FRC 2012 – Week 2

Week 2 Goals

Build

  1. Workable Delivery and Storage
  2. Scaled Diagram
  3. Finalize Drive System
  4. Build Workable Launcher

Documentation

  1. Video
  2. Monday, Tuesday, Friday Documentation
  3. Monday, Tuesday, Friday Website
  4. Outline/Sustainability Plan Five Pages
  5. Web Timeline
  6. Design Thinking/OSHA

Organization

  1. Field Components
  2. Graphics: Four Products

Programming

  1. Programming Test Board
  2. Video Recognition
  3. Outline Sensor Code

Monday

“I had various difficulties with uploading the drive program to the robot.  The main issue I had was the robot not enacting on the code, although, we eventually figured it out and was able to resolve most of the issues I ran into.”

Kully Kekaula

11th grade, Programmer

The Tiki Techs quickly got back into action after taking the weekend off and managed to finish several of the SMART goals set last Friday.  After several hours of finishing our prototype robot, the recently completed electronic breadboard was mounted and the code deployed.  Despite our anticipation, the we found that the electrical system was failing to convey the commands from the joysticks to the jaguars, which control the flow of electricity to the motors.   We realized that one of our modules in the cRIO was placed incorrectly, more specifically being module NI 9102 in slot three rather than one.  The problem was quickly solved and the bot was, for the first time, being completely controlled.  Meanwhile, the graphics team created pictures for our limited edition safety booklets and the team calendars began to take shape.

Tuesday

“The beginning of the second week incites adrenaline with the deadline nearing, it’s sure to make things interesting”- Amy Lowe, Freshman, Programming team

 The Tiki Techs continued from yesterday’s productive work session by first replacing the wheels on the robot to mecanum wheels, a design that incorporates slanted wheels composing a larger wheel, thus allowing the bot to move from side to side. The rest of the build team began constructing a prototype shooting mechanism fabricated entirely out of wood.  By using wood, metal will not be wasted in the circumstance that the design fails to work, and if it were to work, a much more condensed metal version would then be created.  The programming team managed to connect the computer to the robot via a custom made wireless network, now allowing them to wirelessly control the robot without an ethernet cord.  At the end of the day, and several tweaks to the drive code, a prototype version of the robot was fully running through a wireless connection.

As a final push, the build and programming team successfully drove the bot over the barrier. Good job build and programming teams!

 

 

 

 

Friday

As the last day of week two into the FRC season, the build team made considerable progress with their subsystems and drivetrain.  The build team continued with their work from Tuesday by working on both the prototype shooting mechanism and basketball storage container.  Having nearly completed both prototypes, the build team tested their designed by temporarily attaching a battery to both motors to run them.  We found that both mechanisms performed adequately, although, the shooter did not shoot as far as necessary, a problem currently being worked out.  The programming team attempted to acquire a connection with the camera via the cRIO, but it failed to provide any footage.  They did, however, manage to get a connection with the camera through the wireless router.